Gaia-Wind Scotland’s Fastest Growing Private Firm.
December 03, 2012
2 Dec 2012
Leading small wind turbine manufacturer Gaia-Wind was today ranked as the fastest growing private firm in Scotland and as the 8th in the UK in the annually published Fast Track 100 League table. The table sets out the UK’s top 100 fastest growing private firms.
The Glasgow based manufacturer has grown in just a few years, from a handful of employees and single figure sales of their 11kW turbine to a major producer and exporter of Scottish manufactured farm scale turbines.
CEO Johnnie Andringa said:
“We are delighted at the recognition of the huge effort and imagination put into developing our company. It follows our achievement last year in winning the 2011 Scottish Renewables award for Business Growth.
“We created, in March 2011, a world class Global Hub integrating R&D, design engineering, production and testing, as well as global distribution and supply chain management. We are continuously building our presence in UK and export markets, announcing in 2012:
- Record single orders of 200 and 50 turbines respectively, for the UK and the United States.
- The opening of an office in Milan and the appointment of dealers for Italy
- The erection of the first Gaia-Wind turbine in France and the appointment of two French distribution partners; and
- Gaia-Wind has generated some 50 jobs in our Glasgow based company and potentially as many again in our supply chain.
“In part, at Gaia-Wind we are benefitting from the effect of massive retail energy price rises. Rural householders, business and farms are finding that with an easily affordable small wind turbine they can play a ‘Three Card Trick’, to achieve “energy Independence” from spiralling energy costs. They can:
- Offset their utilities bill by using the energy they generate – even switching from e.g. oil heating can be cost efficient
- Sell the remainder of their energy generation back to the Grid; and
- Still receive considerable FIT payments of 21 p for every Kilowatt generated.”
The citation from the Sunday Times Virgin Fast Track 100 table said: “The top company in Scotland is Glasgow-based wind turbine manufacturer Gaia Wind. Under chief executive Johnnie Andringa, sales have grown 168% a year from £348,000 in 2008 to £6.7m in 2011. This year it manufactured and installed 350 wind turbines for farmers, breweries, golf clubs and small businesses with land to spare.”
2. Gaia-Wind small wind turbines are designed to operate in moderate wind speed areas and are ideally suited to working farms, rural businesses, large rural houses, light industrial and commercial businesses, and schools and leisure organisations.
3. Almost 600 Gaia-Wind turbines have been “in the ground” for a combined operational time of more than 14 million hours. That’s over 1,500 years. In Denmark, 77 of our Gaia-Wind turbines have been running for more than 10 years.
4. Johnnie Andringa, CEO
Johnnie Andringa is a champion of renewables and a widely recognised figure in the small wind turbine industry. His business expertise stems from over 20 years hands-on experience working in both engineering and business development roles in 'entrepreneurial organisations with global aspirations'. In September 2006, Johnnie became the leading investor in Danish small wind turbine manufacturers Gaia-Wind, and moved the company headquarters to Glasgow. As CEO, Johnnie has led the international expansion of the business and the drive for innovative research and development that have propelled Gaia-Wind to a world leading position in the small wind industry.
5. For further details see: www.fasttrack.co.uk
Please add your bio info through your member profile page, or through your dashboard.
Please add a comment
Leave a Reply
Got an enquiry about a news article, press release, or event?
Contact Gaia-Wind today by calling +44 (0) 845 871 4242, or email us for more information.
Gaia-Wind 133-11kw turbine
- High energy yield
- Feed in tariff eligible
- Clean energy
Followingnothing to follow
- No tweets found.