Gaia-Wind in the news
Renewables industry unifies around key tests for next Government
September 19, 2014
Leading renewable energy trade bodies have come together to launch “key tests” for the political
parties ahead of the next general election. The grouping, which includes ADBA (Anaerobic
Digestion and Biogas Association), BHA (the British Hydropower Association), the British
Photovoltaic Association, the Renewable Energy Association, RenewableUK, Scottish Renewables
and the Solar Trade Association, has launched a renewables manifesto statement and campaign
hosted on the Action for Renewables website. Action for Renewables encourages public support
for more renewable energy and is chaired by leading environmentalist Dr Tony Juniper.
Providing fifteen per cent of Britain’s power today, renewables are set to provide nearly a third by
2020. Renewables are based on new and exciting technologies that are steadily getting cheaper for
consumers. Whether through gas shocks from Russia or oil shocks from the Middle East,
renewable energy will protect British businesses and consumers.
The trade bodies have set out six key tests for the next Government, and a campaign has been
launched encouraging members of the public to write to the different party leaders to encourage
them to take forward the principles into the General Election.
The six key tests laid out by the grouping are:
1. Support the Climate Change Act to keep us on course to meet our carbon commitments
and back global efforts to tackle climate change.
2. Set a new renewables target for 2030 of 30% of UK energy
3. Back the Independent Committee on Climate Change's recommendation to set a binding
target for low carbon electricity by 2030.
4. Fund the Renewable Heat Incentive for new applications after 2016.
5. Boost the UK's Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation to reach the 10% renewable energy
target for transport by 2020.
6. Reform the EU Emissions Trading Scheme to ensure the market takes account of all sectors'
polluting cost of carbon emissions.
Commenting on the launch of the campaign, Tony Juniper, Chair of Action for Renewables and
former Executive Director of Friends of the Earth said: “The renewable energy bodies have come together with clear and simple propositions. We need consistent and strong backing for renewable energy, not only to cut carbon emissions and tackle climate change, but also to harness the opportunities for growth and jobs and reduce our reliance on dirty fossil fuel imports from insecure parts of the world. A range of technologies have important roles to play and I hope voters will contact Party Leaders and ask them to support out manifesto because none of these technologies can flourish without political backing”.
1. The full text of the renewables bodies' statement will be on http://www.actionforrenewables.org/take-action
2. The bodies which have come together are ADBA (Anaerobic Digestion and Biogas
Association), BHA (British Hydropower Association), British Photovoltaic Association, the
Renewable Energy Association, RenewableUK, Scottish Renewables and the Solar Trade
3. Action for Renewables was set up in 2011 under the Chairmanship of Tony Juniper to
campaign for all forms of renewable energy.
Got an enquiry about a news article, press release, or event?
Contact Gaia-Wind today by calling +44 (0) 845 871 4242, or email us for more information.
We are delighted to be a finalist for The 2014 Scottish Green Energy Awards for Export http://t.co/XsxSszD3Gu
British wind power industry targets sceptical politicians with new campaign http://t.co/4ZfuhF5aVk
UK Government seeks views on proposed draft of Strategy & Policy Statement from stakeholders in the energy sector http://t.co/aLeqSUrWiD …